Wednesday, November 7, 2012

SOONERS OF THE CORN


OU 35 IOWA STATE 20
Last week was just one of those weeks…there was so much I wanted to say about the disappointing loss to Notre Dame, but life just didn’t cooperate and I just didn’t have the time.  This week, I find myself with a little time, but not much to write about…
I guess I could talk about:
-How the Sooners are now 70-5-2 against Iowa State and a perfect 8-0 under Stoops…but that’s like talking about how the Harlem Globetrotters always seem to find a way to beat the Washington Generals…yawn….next. (At OU you don't get much credit for beating ISU...but losing to them can be hazzardous to your employment...just ask Gary Gibbs.)

-How much I hate games starting at 11:00 AM…but that would be like me bitching about being over-weight…chances are that both conditions are going to continue…so I either need to buy a TV network and a treadmill…or get over it.  Smart money is on the later.

I guess I could mention some of the things about the game that didn’t make sense to me…like:

-If Damian Williams’ ankle wasn’t healthy enough to start the game, then why was it all of a sudden healthy enough later in the game…and if it was healthy enough to come into the game later, then why did he only get three more carries than I did? Bottom line, why did the coaches risk further injury to his ankle by playing him 3 snaps? Can't beat ISU without D. Williams? I haven’t seen such a lousy risk/reward ratio since the dot-com days.

-Or, why did someone at ABC Sports think it would be a good idea to put a microphone on an injured Iowa State player?  While in addition to being the Cyclones top tackler, I’m sure Jake Knott is a nice kid…but unless he is going to share the meaning of life or next week’s lottery numbers then I could really give a flying rat’s ass about what he has to say.  Just guessing here, but the last thing I would think the other members of the Cyclones 101st ranked passing defense wanted to hear while trying to catch their breath on the sidelines…is a nationally broadcasted, synthetically produced rah-rah speech from a guy with bad acne and a shoulder harness…but maybe that is just me and the 4 vodka cranberry cocktails I had before noon talking.

I guess I could write about things that puzzle me…like:

-How the hell Iowa State figured out a way to stop the Belldozer, but the other 13 teams OU has faced since the Sooners implemented the scheme into the offense last year, couldn’t.  

-Or…why the battery in my smoke detector only goes bad in the middle of the night…and then won’t even stop beeping after I have taken the battery out of the damn thing. Thank goodness for baseball bats.

I guess I could muse more about how:

-This game was another perfect illustration of how YOUR Sooner QB Landry Jones is the college football version of Sybil. The stats will read: 400 yards passing and four touchdowns…the stats will also show him to have thrown 2 INT’s that kept ISU in the game longer than they should have been.  The record book will show him to now be in the top 5 all-time in NCAA passing yards…the record book will also show him to have never played for a national crown. The game film and replays will show this kid making throws that are so insanely off the chart good that it just makes you shake your head...and the game film and replays will also show a 5th year senior QB sliding a yard short of a first down that would have ended the game, because he wasn’t football smart enough to know what the situation was or where he was on the field.  But since I have already spent 1700 words on this subject already… it is probably time to maybe talk about something else, like…

-How we are absolutely loaded at wide receiver.  I haven’t seen this much freshman talent since I was living on the 14th floor of Adams Tower back in 1984.  Shepherd, Neal, Metoyer are all freshman or red-shirt freshman…Stills, Brown, Bester and the seemingly un-coverable Saunders are all back next year, provided they don’t lose their mind and try to go pro…throw in the red-shirted Williams kid from California and anybody that is in-coming in the 2013 class and we are in great shape for years to come at WR. Now all we need is someone to throw it to them next year. Belldozer...needs to transform into BellAir before next season starts.

I could probably jot something down about how:

-How beat-up and depleted the OU offensive line is these days…but yet they still enabled a below average RB (Clay) to rush for over 150 yards and didn’t allow a sack of their concrete footed QB against ISU.

-Or…how in two weeks’ time, a freshman Irish QB and some guy named Steele Jantz have transformed the perception of OU’s defensive secondary from team strength to possibly the team’s biggest concern.

-Or maybe I could just jot something down about how I don’t know if I have a second wind or not, cause I never do enough anymore to run out of the first one.

If I had to, I guess I could make this blog about:

-How long the drive home was when I drove to Ames, Iowa in 2007 and watched red-shirt freshman Sam Bradford and the Sooners sleep walk to a 17-7 win against the Gene Chizik coached Cyclones…but that wouldn’t really be relevant.

-Or this blog entry could be about all the things I consider myself to be a first-hand authority on…but that would be to long.

-Or…maybe I could just write down everything I know about how a woman’s mind works: _________________ the end.

Baylor is next.  Time to right the ship at home and payback the Bears for last year’s loss in Waco.
The OAS is also traveling to Morgantown, WV the following week to watch the Sooners and Mountaineers.  If you are going, give me a shout so we can make plans to hook up. 
Administrative Note:
The OAS would like to thank Kent Coleman, Lane Wheeler, John Cox and anyone else that was involved…for their time and effort in regards to the Notre Dame tailgate.  You guys always are so hospitable…please know that all the hard work, food, booze and atmosphere that you guys work so hard to provide each week is truly appreciated.  It was a special day to see so many people that I haven’t seen in too long.
Boomer Sooner
Just the Opinion of One Mildly Interested Guy
The Overweight Armchair Sooner (The OAS)
Buddy Putty
 
THE NOTRE DAME TAILGATE PHOTOS
The irrepressible
Kent Coleman
 
Turner & Pepper MacLean
Brett & Barbara Willis
More Gumbo?
John Cox
The OAS with pledge brother
Jeff Rogers
 
The Spesh, Mark Litton &
Chris Webb
 


Poopy Dog & Bobby Bell


McCabe Times 2
Dave and Matt
 


Kristen Nelson Lauro &
the lovely Jenny Johnston
 
Lane Wheeler
The GameDay Bartender
 
a Martin, a Lilly, a Grantham
another Martin and a Walker
 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge

Followers