Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Crimson, Cream & ... Anthracite?

 OKLAHOMA 52 #19 KANSAS 42

While the Sooners broke their three-game losing streak last Saturday against #19-ranked Jayhawks, I'm gonna focus more on what they were wearing while they did it.


CRIMSON, CREAM AND …. ANTHRACITE?

The Sooners unveiled their new alternate uniforms this past Saturday. The ‘Unity’ uniforms featured anthracite-colored jerseys, pants and helmets with crimson trim and lettering. There was an outline of the state of Oklahoma amid a triple-stripe on both sleeves and the word “UNITY” was stitched on the back-of-the-jersey nameplate.

 

I’ll be honest, my first reaction upon seeing the alternate uniforms was that I hated them.

 

My first reaction was … To make a snap judgement. “The jersey’s shouldn’t say Unity on the back, they should say Ugly.”

 

My first reaction was … That just the description of the uniforms made me dizzy. “Anthracite, really? Is that even a color? Because it sounds more like something I need to have my pesticide provider spray for on their next visit.”

 

My first reaction was … To make fun of them. “It would be my contention that any color that can’t beat out the likes of tumbleweed, inchworm, or jazzberry jam for a slot in the Crayola Crayons Box of 120 – shouldn’t be featured on a football jersey.”

 

My first reaction was … To chalk it up to something I don’t understand. “The new generation could care less about tradition … and sad as it may be, things like ‘alternate’ uniforms matter to recruits. Call me an old man, but I want these hideous things off my yard”

 

My first reaction was … To find a way to tie it to something else I deemed negative. “How in the hell am I supposed to know who to scream at when the jersey doesn’t have the players name on it, and you can’t decipher their jersey number? It’s like a witness protection program for Oklahoma Sooners defensive backs.”

 

Thankfully, before I published the blog this week, I did what I should’ve done to begin with … I took some time to educate myself on the Unity Uniforms.

 

Turns out … my first reaction was … Judgmental, Insensitive, and Uninformed.  

 

There are two thing I want to be very clear about.

 

The jersey Prentice Gautt signed for me back in 2002.
First, I loved both the message and the great pioneer that the
Unity Uniforms represented from the start
. Prentice Gautt, a man I had the privilege of meeting back in 2002, became the first black scholarship football player at the University of Oklahoma in 1956. His perseverance through racial prejudice, helped unite this teammates on their way to four consecutive conference championships. Gautt, who was a two-time All-Big Eight running back, an Academic All-American, and the MVP of the 1959 Orange Bowl, also play seven seasons in the NFL. IMO, there could not be a more appropriate and deserving man to be honored and recognized by this kind of tribute than Prentice Gautt.

I’m also not so egotistical as to think my opinion on the Unity Uniforms matters to anyone, nor should it. The only opinions on the subject that matters … is that of the Gautt Family, the people who designed them and the players who wear them.  With that said, after reading more about the uniforms I have a whole new appreciation for them.

 

THE IDEA

The ‘Unity Uniform’ idea was created and then designed by a group of student-athletes, including several former football players. I’m impressed with the idea, that it was done by committee, and that the powers that be at the University of Oklahoma were on board and supportive of the project. Once again, Joe Castiglione shows why he is the best Athletic Director in the nation.

 

THE PROCESS

The idea for the ‘Unity Uniforms’  started in 2020. Two-years is a lot of time and effort to put into a project. Plus, when a ‘committee’ is tasked to do a project, that is a lot of opinions, which can lead to things being tedious at times. I know this from experience. The two situations I was involved in where I wasn’t the only one to get a vote, both ended in divorce. So, kudos to the group for the time and effort it took to bring the ‘Unity Uniforms’ to fruition.

 

THE HONOR

I read where it was also the desire of the student-athlete group to use the new football uniform to honor Gautt. We wanted to honor Prentice for being the first African American scholarship football player here,” said Kelly. “He stood for unity, he stood for doing things the right way. He stood for making sure that you handled academics and football. He was one of the founding fathers who made Oklahoma football what it is and gave all the African American players who have come through OU an opportunity. As I’ve already mentioned, there couldn’t be a better choice for that honor. Well done.

 

THE MESSAGE

‘Unity Uniforms’ were designed for all University of Oklahoma varsity sports, not just the football team. “We wanted to make a statement that was way broader, something that stood out more than just a practice jersey,” said Caleb Kelly, a former OU linebacker who is now a director for the football team's SOUL Mission program. “When we're all together wearing the word ‘Sooners,’ we’re all one. We wanted to make sure we exemplified unity in our uniform.”

 

I’m not sure how the swim team is going to feel about wearing those helmets, but I love the message. I’m just kidding, we don’t even have a swim team, do we?

 

MY THOUGHTS

My second reaction wasThat the new alternate uniforms, while not being my cup of tea aesthetically, are special. Special because of who designed them. Special due to the time and effort it took to bring them to completion. And special for who and what they represent – which is Prentice Gautt and the importance of togetherness and building relationships to better society.

 

Maybe the uniforms also serve as a reminder that the path to achieving the goals above won’t always be pretty and that a person’s first reaction should be based on meaning and not color … even if that color is something called Anthracite.

Just the Opinion of One Mildly Interested Guy

Buddy Putty

The OAS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge

Followers